Sunday, October 10, 2010

Curry-ing Favor

So I recently cooked for two, after a long spell of cooking for one.  My proportions seemed a bit off (I had way too much rice!), but the dinner was fun - and it's so much easier to cook for two!

I had some lovely sweet potatoes, some peppers, a load of garlic, some frozen shrimp, canned coconut milk, canned pineapple tidbits, a lime and some jarred Thai red curry.  All the ingredients necessary to concoct a lovely curry...except Jasmine rice.  I did have some sushi rice, and while the short grain is not ideal in my mind, it certain serves the grain's purpose in a curry dish, soaking up some flavors and serving as a conduit of the mixture.

I started by sautéing the peppers and garlic in a little bit of sesame oil.  While these heated and began to soften, I popped the sweet potatoes in the microwave.  While this is a little cheat, it cuts out so much time, making it very appealing for hastening dinner to the table.  They cooked in the microwave, then I peeled and chopped the hot potatoes, and added them and the canned pineapple to the pan with the peppers and garlic.  I also added approximately two teaspoons of the red curry paste.  Stirring and heating, this was making the kitchen smell so yummy!

After most of the water had evaporated from the addition of the pineapple, I added in the frozen shrimp, stirred and let heat for a few minutes.  Then I added in half a can of coconut milk, stirred, and let it cook and mingle the flavors.

I salted the rice, put it in bowls, and topped the rice with the curry.  What a lovely way to use the sweet potatoes, as they took on some of the heat, but maintained their rich flavor and consistency.  A wonderful, and fairly quick, weeknight dinner!


1 comment: