Monday, September 14, 2009

Celebrate Good Times...

I have a reputation at work for asking, any time there is an event, if there will be cake. Growing up, I had amazing birthday cakes for many years - a beautiful butterfly, my favorite My Little Pony, Cheer Bear from the Care Bears...the list continues. At a certain point, though, I stopped having cakes. In recent years I've returned to the idea of celebration being marked with cake.

This weekend we celebrated a birthday in our house, and I made a birthday cake. After inviting a few friends to enjoy the cake with us, I discussed the plan - a lovely chocolate cake and a rich vanilla buttercream frosting. After poring over a number of cookbooks, I settled upon Lisa Yockelson's Velvety Chocolate Cake, from Chocolate Chocolate. Using so much butter, I knew it would be rich.

After the layers cooled, I decided to go for broke, and split each of the two layers in half. I made a bittersweet chocolate ganache and filled the layers with the chocolate. Then I made a simple vanilla buttercream and constructed the entire cake. Sometime during this time, the household "taste tester" came in and sampled the frosting. Deeming it worthy, I finished the cake.

While we only got through half the cake last night with our friends, the rich, sumptuous dessert seemed a fitting end to a celebratory weekend - a little more indulgent than necessary, but fun! There is something so lovely about a homemade cake on a cake stand that I just love. It looks ready to celebrate. The time it takes to make it is a labor of love, and to me means that the celebration is special - deserving of both the labor and that level of indulgence, of excess. Something beautiful and fun to share with those you love. Cake makes every occasion a little more fun, a little more special, a little sweeter.


2 comments:

  1. The cake looks and sounds delicious. I especially like the addition of the chocolate ganache. You will have to recreate it one weekend when you come to Winchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! This chocolate delight looks like it could be a close runner up to Southern Living carrot cake. If ever recreated in Winchester, keep in mind...HR accepts leftovers!

    ReplyDelete