Friday, April 15, 2011

Warming Trends

When it starts to warm up for the season, I love having salads for dinner. My husband enjoys them too, but then sometimes complains about being hungry soon after. Solutions: more protein and more fiber in the salads!

This week we FINALLY had two consecutive days of warm weather (now I'm holding out for warm AND sunny!), so I decided to make a lovely salad for us for dinner! I usually start with store-bought salad greens, for speed. I added a can of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed, for more fiber, protein and general staying power. I added some toasted almond slices, and chopped up an avocado as well.

The other major addition was quinoa - a plant-based, complete protein. It's quick to cook and is a great grain side for many meals, and it was a wonderful addition to the salad. I put the saucepan on the oven, and while it cooked I put together the rest of the salad and the dressing.

For the dressing, I went for a light, citrusy vinaigrette.

juice from 1 tangerine
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1/3 cup oil (I usually use a combination of olive and canola)
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk together the juice, vinegar and mustard. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Dip a piece of salad green into the dressing and taste for flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like dressings on the tangy side, but if this is too tangy for you, just add a little more oil.

I about half the dressing on the salad and mixed it, then gave the rest to my dressing-happy dining partner! This salad was delicious, and it kept us both satisfied! I can't wait for the warm days to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment