Sunday, April 17, 2011

You Know You're Southern When...

I once told a co-worker I had eaten black-eyed peas for dinner.  She asked what I had them with - the answer was nothing.  I like sweet potatoes, and have eaten a sweet potato for dinner.  I love black-eyed peas...from a can...fresh...in "cakes"...in pretty much any form.  So for dinner, when I needed something quick, I went to my quick favorites.

I started a sweet potato cooking in the microwave, then put a pan on the stove to heat up.  When it was hot, I swirled in some oil, chopped a small link of andouille sausage, and sauteed until it seared and sizzled.  Then I dumped in a half-drained can of black-eyed peas.

As the peas heated, the potato finished, so I cut it open and made a few strategic cuts to make it easier to eat. 

I swirled the pan of sausage and peas, and when it was hot, dumped it on the plate with the sweet potato.  It was such a warm, satisfying dinner - yes, it smacks of southern tradition - that took me less than 15 minutes to pull together.  This is true comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment