Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tortilla Espanola

In concept, a tortilla espanola is a Spanish-style egg dish, similar to a frittata, that has potatoes and onions in it. I understand this very well! This time around, I got all the flavors there, but it wasn't pretty.

I started by cutting and boiling the potatoes - they wouldn't cook enough if put into the egg mixture raw! I also chopped some red onion and sauteed it in some oil.



Once the potatoes and onions were ready to go, I cracked open a bunch of eggs, stirred them together, and added in the potatoes and most of the onion. When my bowl of eggy goodness was combined, I heated some oil in a saute pan and then added the egg and veggie mixture and cooked it over medium heat for 10 minutes.

My troubles began at the 10 minutes cooking mark - when I tried to loosen the tortilla from the pan to flip it. Parts of it came away easily, and some parts stuck like crazy. I ended up not being able to flip it well, so it never looked lovely. I simply cooked the parts of it through to doneness.


While it was NOT pretty at all, the flavors were there. This is a fun dish, because once it's cooked you can let it sit - it is actually meant to be eaten at room temperature. I let mine cool a little while I made myself a side dish.

I also had some young broccoli, so I added that to the saute pan with the remaining onions. I added a little bit more oil and some crushed red pepper flakes, and sauteed the broccoli for a few minutes until the green became more vibrant.







This bright color, contrasted with the muted tones of the tortilla espanola, made a lovely plate - and a yummy dinner.



Dinner - tortilla Espanola and broccoli with onions

No comments:

Post a Comment