Thursday, June 17, 2010

Funny Little Devils

I love my new fresh eggs, but I have not been eating as many eggs these days - it's hotter, so scrambled eggs for breakfast just don't have the same appeal for me! I had a lot of eggs left over, and needed to use them - I just got another half-dozen. So, in pondering what sounded good, it hit me. I love deviled eggs, and so rarely get to eat them. They're high protein, low carb and generally delicious! With these beautiful eggs, what better way to utilize and showcase their goodness for some light summer dinner?

Hard-boiling my eggs.

I started with four eggs, because I invariably have a hard time peeling the eggs; while I knew I'd have four yolks to work with, I wasn't sure I'd have eight white "shells" to fill! Sure enough, the first egg I peeled came apart. I rescued the yolk, intact, and managed to have about half of a white left. I had better luck with the others, but was only able to peel one perfectly (25% was satisfying in this particular challenge!).

My yolks and whites...or pieces of whites.

After my adventure in peeling eggs, I moved on to the filling. I chopped some chives, added some Colman's mustard powder, fresh ground pepper, salt, and some country style dijon mustard. I also pan-friend, for about 30 seconds, two slices of prosciutto, chopped, and added. I mashed it all together with a fork, and it tasted good, but wasn't creamy enough. I know that most people achieve that lovely creamy texture with mayonnaise, but not I. I have "issues" with mayonnaise (YUCK!) so I added a little milk at a time, slowly stirring to incorporate, until I achieved that lovely creaminess. My brother would approve - mayonnaise-free deviled eggs! I filled the egg white shells with the filling, and then I topped each egg with a slice of the prosciutto. I will definitely do this again, and will experiment with other flavor profiles as well! I tried one, and then shamelessly ate only deviled eggs for dinner.


Deviled Eggs for dinner...mmm...

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I should have looked at your blog sooner.. I was trying to find a non-mayo recipe and now I have it. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete