Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hot Spearmint Summer Treats

Last week's CSA came with some spearmint, and I thought perhaps I would try a sorbet. It's a traditional Mexican summer treat and palate cleanser, so recipes are readily available on the internet. That said, I don't use recipes all the time, so I simply measured out my spearmint leaves, which were drying a bit by now, and added three times the water. I brought the mixture to a boil to let the spearmint leaves steep.

Steeping spearmint leaves.

After boiling for about five minutes, I took the mixture off the heat and added some sugar, about half as much as the water, and stirred vigorously to dissolve. At this point, the mixture was infusing the kitchen with the refreshing smell of spearmint. I sat the pan aside to let it cool.

Adding the sugar.

Once cool, I whizzed the mixture with my immersion blender to further break up the spearmint leaves and release those flavorful oils into the syrup. I poured a bit of the mixture, with the spearmint leaves, into the freezing canister of my ice cream maker, and then strained the rest of the spearmint leaves. I wanted a few green flecks for color and contrast, but not all the leaves.

After running through my ice cream maker for about 20 minutes, the sorbet was light and creamy. I quickly scooped myself a serving, and put the rest into a container for another night. I can't wait to have more on a hot, humid night - a perfect treat for a summer night!


The cool, refreshing sorbet - it's beautiful, and it's amazingly refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment