Monday, June 21, 2010

More Devils...Still Mayonnaise Free!!!

I was asked about a recipe for deviled eggs. I am not the best with recipes...I tend to change them, or simply look at them and then not refer to them while cooking. That said, here's my best attempt. Let me know how they turn out!

Anti-Mayo Devils

4 eggs
mustard powder
country-style dijon mustard
chives
prosciutto
skim milk
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

Hard-boil the eggs. Let cool in chilled water, until they are cool. Peel the eggs (it's easiest when they're cooled!). Slice in half lengthwise, and scoop yolks into a small bowl. Put whites on a plate.

Crush yolks a little with a fork in the bowl. Chop chives, and add about a tablespoon of chives to the yolks. Chop prosciutto and add about one and a half tablespoons. You can add more chives and prosciutto if you want! Add a scant tablespoon of mustard powder, and a heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard. [Warning: I like the mustard flavor, so you may want to start with less.]

Crush and mix with a fork. Add about a tablespoon of milk, stir into yolk mixture, and repeat until the mixture achieves a nice, creamy consistency. I added about five or six tablespoons, I think. Taste and add salt and pepper as appropriate. Depending upon how salty the prosciutto is, you may not need any salt.

Carefully spoon the yolk mixture into the egg white shells. Top with a small slice of prosciutto, and enjoy!

1 comment: