Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mmm...Dinner!

For my first CSA dinner last night, I took stock of my haul and decided that the fresh, tender salad greens were likely to expire first, so I decided I would make myself a salad. Of course, I do not buy salad dressing, so I made my own herb vinaigrette. I hard boiled one of the fresh farm eggs, and quartered it over the salad, which was finished with a perfect chive blossom. It was so lovely, I even opened a bottle of chardonnay to complement it. It was a nice treat to make such a pretty dinner for myself!


The vinaigrette.

juice of one lemon
one teaspoon dijon mustard
one teaspoon honey
approximately 1/3 cup oil (more or less to taste)
chopped herbs to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Mix lemon juice and mustard in a small bowl with a whisk or fork. Slowly add in oil in a slow pour or in small amounts, stirring vigorously after each addition to create an emulsion. Add oil to taste; I use a little less because I like tart dressings; some people will prefer more oil. Stir in the honey. Use a piece of the salad greens to taste it, so you have the flavor as you'll eat it! Once you're satisfied with the tart flavor, stir in the chopped herbs (I used finely chopped chives and oregano chiffonade (which means I rolled the leaves and cut it into thin slices, which make thin strips)). Add some fresh pepper and salt and taste it again. Adjust as necessary.


The greens.


The perfect egg.


The complete salad.

1 comment: