Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Teriyaki Table

Tonight's dinner was a stir-fry of the last of my CSA ingredients for this week. As with all my stir-fries, I first complete my mise en place to ensure I'm ready to go. I chopped garlic scapes, washed pac choi, sliced tomatoes and sliced a Hungarian wax pepper that a coworker was kind enough to give me!


I also stirred up a little teriyaki-like sauce, made from equal parts sake and soy sauce, with about 2/3 as much brown sugar (give or take).

I started the stir-fry with some store-bought chicken sausage, sliced thin and sauteed.


When it was almost done after about six minutes, I added the tomatoes, scapes and pepper. I also added some of the sauce and let it all simmer away.



The juices from the tomatoes mix in the sauce to thin it a little, which is fine. I tend to let the sauce cook down to a little more than a glaze, about 8-9 minutes.

At the very end, I added the pac choi, large leaves first, to simmer in the glaze quickly and wilt a little. As the bigger leaves cook down, I add the smaller ones, and add in a few fresh herbs as well.


By now the kitchen smells fantastic, and the sauce has reduced down to a lovely glaze on all the vegetables.


I quickly added a couple turns of the pepper grinder, gave it all a stir, and dumped it onto a plate. It was a lovely plate of vegetables, with a little Asian flair. Yum! I am also particularly proud that, for the second week, I've eaten all of my vegetables! This is proving to be a good exercise in both cooking for one and in eating all my vegetables. Waste not!


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I like how you provided photos each step of the way :)

    I love teriyaki, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I'm getting hungry just looking at the pictures.. and eating all your CSA vegetables is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete