Saturday, July 24, 2010

Some Like It Hot...Very Hot...

It's a record-breaking day for heat here in the mid-Atlantic, so I have not turned on the oven or stove at all.

What am I eating? Well, I'm lucky enough to be pulling in some gorgeous produce from my CSA that requires virtually no treatment at all to be delicious!

I'm eating some gorgeous peaches, fresh from the trees earlier in the week. These peaches are so succulent and sweet that they need NOTHING added to them. I shared some of last week's peaches with my sister-in-law and she asked what I'd put on them...the answer was nothing. If possible, this week's are even better. Perhaps it's the heat making them so delicious to me, but they're fabulous.



I've also been eating cucumbers. I had two - this week's and last week's - and sliced them into half-moons and prepared them a la David Tanis. His Vietnamese cucumbers (here's a newspaper's publication of a version of the recipe - I don't want to come afoul of copyright law) are right up my alley, and the heat of the chiles combined with the cool cucumbers seems all too perfect on a hot day like today.



I may cut into a block of cheese later, but maybe not. At this rate, I'll end the day having only eaten cucumbers and peaches, and that's perfectly fine with me.

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered a bunch of peaches from FreshDirect. Hoping to make a blueberry/peach cobbler later this week! If I had your peaches I would just eat them, though. So good.

    ReplyDelete