Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Veggies Are Coming, the Veggies Are Coming!

For the fifth week of the CSA, I could see the transition beginning. With the heat coming on, and summer going into full swing, the spring herbs and greens are starting to wane, and the full summer vegetables are making their first appearances.


This week, there was more Thai and Italian basil, some fresh arugula, the last of the garlic scapes we’ll see, a beautiful garlic bulb which smells heavenly, oregano, a potted sage plant and some baby eggplants. Next week promises more vegetables, which is exciting to me!




The garlic scapes, in a vase.

I have mixed feelings about accepting the sage plant. I’ve gotten two calendulas, a cilantro plant and two little pots of basil…none of which have survived. While I can blame the calendulas on weather – I had them outside, and it’s been oppressively hot – I must accept the blame for the others. Alas, my thumbs appear to be decidedly brown.

The sage I hope to keep alive...

1 comment: